Sunday, August 2, 2026

My experience at the 2026 Grand Mesa 50 Miler

My mom had offered to drive me to Grand Junction and up the Grand Mesa for the 50 mile race. For race logistics, instead of bringing my kids and family, it was just going to be the two of us.

This was perfect for a more focused race morning, as I'd have to get up at 2:30am to be ahead of time for the start. Even from Grand Junction, it was more than an hour up the mesa to the start line, but it was worthwhile to sleep in the hotel instead of camping and sleeping on the ground at the start line.

I got to the start line with plenty of extra time, arguably maybe a little too early, but no big deal. The stars were out and the air was fresh.

Tall conifers right at the predawn start line of the Grand Mesa 50M.

I felt like I'd done a lot of training and work to get here, although the last few weeks I'd tapered more aggressively and reduced miles.

At 5 am sharp, the official start gun was fired. We all set off in the dark, headlamps illuminating the rocky and root-laden singletrack ahead.

The first few miles of the race descend this obscure singletrack towards the more popular Crag Crest trail. I started near the back midpack. I found my spot in the line, trying not to trip (mostly successfully).

I reached the first aid station as the sun was just beginning to come up, and I grabbed a variety of trail goodies. I didn't linger too long, as next was the climb up Crag Crest.

Wildflowers along the trail approaching Crag Crest.

The Crag Crest trail is a big "feature" of this race, and I can see why. It's a gorgeous, unique climb that ascends this rocky crest with drop-offs to both sides. Yet, the trail rides comfortably in the middle, never exposing the runner to too much danger.

Nearing the top of Crags Crest, nice views down to both sides.



The views of the many lakes were interesting, and it kept my morning feeling fresh despite the climb.




Soon enough, I'd completed the first "loop" section of Crags Crest, and returned to the aid station from the morning. The task ahead was now to climb back up the few miles that we ran in the dark. I'd now get to experience the rock- and root-covered trail in the daylight, with a new uphill twist.

I enjoyed several conversations through the loop and on the uphill back to the start area.

At the top of the mesa, the party was swinging at the start/finish area already, but for the back-pack 50 milers, we were just getting started.

I spent a few minutes at the aid station area and grabbed more snacks, but I felt like I still had enough water. That would turn out to be incorrect.

The next section is a long, gradual downhill into the area called "Flowing Park." This downhill was enjoyable, and it's likely I went too fast on this segment for my hydration levels. I got to feeling "too smooth" on the downhill and I ran out of water at least 3 miles before the aid station. 

The downhill into Flowing Park felt nice, but I likely went too fast.


Although the mostly cloud-free day was heating up intensely, I had a great conversation with a woman from Denver throughout this section, and it kept me hanging on until the Flowing Park aid station.

At this point, I refilled my water and changed my socks, which I thought would help my feet a little, which were starting to get sore. In the end, I'm not sure that it helped at all.

As my new trail friend left the aid station, she mentioned that there was 20 minutes until that aid station closed. I suddenly felt the first pang of the cut offs. I was disappointed to be hearing about it already, because I thought I had pushed that last section quite well.

When I set out of the aid station, into the Flowing Park 15-mile loop in the heat of the day, I was already 27 miles deep into the race.  Sitting at the aid station for too long had caused me to cramp up. I already felt like I couldn't move too efficiently anymore.


This exposed section of course had a handful of clouds at the beginning,  but they weren't sufficient in reducing the heat of the full sun shining down. 

The trail went from doubletrack to rocky singletrack, which was just narrow enough to not allow me to run my usual gait. I slowed to a walk, and tried to maintain, despite already feeling low on water in the hot sun.

Soon I approached the part of the course that I'd consider my favorite, despite how tired I was feeling. I felt enchanted by the land, how the edge was so tantalizing, with trees lining one part,  and the appearance of the land simply "falling away" on the other side. It felt a little like a video game map.

My favorite view of the day, on the Flowing Park loop, where the edge of the mesa just "falls away."


I was slowed to a crawl by this point, and ran out of water for the second time today. Calculating my chances, I realized that the aid station cut off was going to be close, if I even made it.

But I pressed on, walking the edge of the mesa on this grand loop of the course. Despite the extreme exposure to sun, this was a phenomenonal trail, which I enjoyed even more than Crag Crest. Both loops of this course have their own unique flavor.



As I left the part of the trail that just "falls away" and looked back towards that "island," clouds began to build above. 

They threatened rain, but it never materialized. I would learn later at the aid station that it actually rained heavily back at the lake, but the runners were on the far part of the mesa at this time, and it did not rain on us.

Dramatic clouds build above the "island in the sky" part of the course. 



The course continued on the edge of the mesa for a while, and became more rocky and covered in desert-type vegetation. It was fascinating to see the variety in the mini ecosystems at the different parts of the huge "arm" of this gigantic mesa.



Views down were expansive.



I continued pressing on, power hiking as well as I could on the narrow trail, but I knew I was getting behind on time.


My legs would just not move efficiently. But I appreciated what I could. When I came to this huge field of sagebrush, I felt calm and thankful for this experience. This high desert smelled so amazing! I wished I could have bottled the scent for later.

On this part of the course, despite my exhaustion and dehydration, the scent of the sagebrushes was overwhelming and amazing. I wish I could have captured that!


The trail came to a stand of aspens that was uniquely tilted. This small patch was all leaning in one direction,  slightly bent, creating a trippy effect.


This flower was cupped and waxy, maximizing water intake.

The flowers and vegetation were incredible. They were thicker and more waxy than similar counterparts on the front range. Even the sage was much more brushy and rough than the small, soft sages in the Colorado Springs area.


As I got back to the portion of course where the loop meets the "lollipop," it became apparent that I would not make the next aid station cut off at mile 42. I had spend too much time suffering in the desert!!

The fact that I had run out of water miles back also didn't help. Even though I had a full 2L of water for the 15 mile loop, it wasn't enough on this hot day.

About two miles out from the aid station, and literally just a minute after the cut off, the course sweep found me. They had calculated there were a couple runners who wouldn't make the cut offs and sent out the sweep before the official cut off was reached. He did bring extra water, which saved me, and I was able to pick up the pace again and walk rapidly the last two miles back to the aid station. 

This fantastically huge bug I saw out in the desert field. Completely green and almost metallic-like in quality. 


I was carted back to the start before the finish line cut off, so I was able to watch the golden hour folks coming in, of which there were quite a few during this heated (ha ha) race.

I was disappointed that I could only get 42 of the 50 miles that I had bargained on, but I just couldn't move my legs fast enough!

Overall, what went wrong? I didn't have enough water capacity, 2L is clearly not enough for some sections of this race. Also, this particular year was hot and no precipitation along the course.

Despite not getting to complete the race, this course was fantastic. I enjoyed the experience and overall would love to come back to this area. I would like to train for and do the Flowing Park loop (15 mile) specifically, because I found it very picturesque and I'd like to enjoy it on fresh legs some day.

Also, 50 miles is far! It might be beyond my pain threshold. Although I still enjoy racing, I think I have to taper it back for a while to 26.2 trail marathons and maybe even 50ks.

Thankfully, my mom, who was the most wonderful travel support for this race for me, had reserved the hotel a second night in Grand Junction so I was able to get a full night's rest after this hot race. 

In the morning, I ate well at the breakfast (hooray for insta-bake waffles at hotels!) And even got to swim a few laps in the pool, to stretch out, before leaving back for Colorado Springs. A quick stop for peaches along the way, and a detour through Breckenridge to avoid I-70 Sunday traffic, made this trip complete. 

***

It's been a week since the race and I feel that I am recovering well.

The first few days, I wanted to do nothing but sleep. I was noticeably sore on my daily walks with Mocha.

Luckily, as I am recovering, Mocha is starting to "get in sync" with my running more, so she is providing additional support.



An enthusiastic young part herding breed, she is really the best daily trail buddy. She's willing and wanting to do 10k a day or more, as long as we go early in the morning and beat the heat! She is starting to realize her job is herding me!

As I continue to reflect on what my DNF at Grand Mesa 50 means for my running future, I will slowly work to train her distance up. Eventually, she will be able to accompany me on longer adventure runs, and maybe even come with me some day to the Grand Mesa. Then, maybe on a cool autumn day with fall colors in full force, I can revisit this amazing place.

Finally, I want to thank my mom again for taking me and driving me to the Grand Mesa! What an incredible trip, and very interesting to experience the largest mesa environment in this state.

No comments:

Post a Comment