Sunday, July 29, 2018

20 miles on a solo Sunday

Do you ever sleep in on a long run day, look out to the mountains, and decide you won't be able to get your mileage in before the afternoon monsoons? 

I decided that I'd wait out the afternoon thunderstorms and go on an evening long run on our generous urban trail network instead.

It's been a while since I've run to Monument, anyhow.

As I set out, a little remaining rain drizzled on me, but that was all the precipitation that I would encounter.

The humidity hung in the air today after the storms. I was glad to stop at Criterium Bike Shop and refill my water pack and then be on my way northbound.

As I entered the Air Force Academy, the air began to cool off and an evening breeze began to evaporate some of the humidity that seemed so heavy when I first set out.

I reached the north entrance gate to the New Santa Fe Trail, exiting the AFA, just before sundown.


Although my pace was not speedy, to be sure, I was fairly consistent in my plodding, so I was almost 20 miles in when my husband called that he was on his way. I told him I would be able to meet him in Monument.

We met up and went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse!


Long runs that are point to point are always best with dinner involved.

Although it was slow, it was nice to get some long mileage in, and the good news is my ankle feels great.


And it is always nice to take advantage of our superior trail network that I can so easily jump on by accessing the Rock Island Trail very near to my doorstep.

Next week I hope to summit Pikes Peak again, so back to the mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment