Sunday, August 4, 2019

Hankins Pass/ Brookside-McCurdy/ McCurdy Park/ Goose Creek Loop with Jim!

I could have titled this "the coolest rocks loop," as there were so many awesome rocks!

I wanted to include this link to the AllTrails route, in case anyone was interested in doing this loop. My recollection of every turn in the trail is likely not as good as following the map!

Jim and I set out at 6am on Friday to run this loop clockwise, starting with Hankins Pass. The sunrise greeted us just as we arrived at the trailhead, and early on in the trail we were already frolicking though wildflower-strewn meadows.





The climb to Hankins Pass was mostly forested and still nice and cool in the early morning.

The views got better and better as we kept going. The Brookside-McCurdy trail has some really cool rock outcroppings and some gorgeous open meadow views.





The most difficult part of the day for me was the descent into Refrigerator Gultch. So many switchbacks. Way too much downhill! But as the law of ultra goes, often a high will follow a low. The McCurdy Park trail was the highlight of this loop for me.

This is the part of the trail that crosses Lost Creek. This whole vast wilderness area is named after this spot where the Creek gets "lost" and goes underground through the canyon below. I didn't know that until Jim told me on the trail!

I wish I could have stayed and camped in this canyon. It was so fantastic!







Truthfully I was a bit more fatigued than I should have been from my gym sessions earlier in the week, and I started feeling a bit crashy nearing the end of the loop. But the views, the aspen forests, and Jim in front of me kept pulling me on.









Wow! What an amazing day in the Lost Creek Wilderness! I have to thank Jim for inviting me to do this loop with him. It was such a great tour of this wilderness area. I wish I could have stayed and played for hours in McCurdy Park.





To wrap up the day, my husband came to get me and we took a drive through the Tarryall area.




Just another wonderful day, living the dream in Colorado! Our total distance for the run was 24 miles and it took us a little less than 8 hours. My phone reported the total elevation gain as just a bit more than 6000 feet!


Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment