Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sun, March 12

Another successful Speedwork Sunday!

Today was just Sharon and I. Yesterday, I did a bunch of ab-wheel roll-outs so I was somewhat sore and tired for the intervals today.

We did the same workout as last week: half a mile, a mile, half a mile.

My times were noticably slower than previous weeks: 3:56, 7:55, 3:51.

Considering how I was trying to push but just couldn't make myself go faster, I think the ab-wheel was more detrimental to my workout than I expected. Next week, I'll try not to make myself so sore the day before speedwork.

We did a long, meandering cool-down. We had a total of 7.4 miles.

In the afternoon, I took Pippin for a short run as well. The clouds were bursting out from behind the mountains.


Pippin and I did 5.1 miles, bringing my total to 12.5 miles for the day.

***

Wed, March 15

After a couple restful days, I went out with Pippin this morning and did 10.2 miles.


It was so gorgeous on the bluffs! And the day quickly warmed up; the relentless Colorado sun beaming its spring rays on the golden fields and tan rock walls.

It beginning to get warm enough this spring that I'll have to start finding cooler trails for Pippin soon (maybe the mountains 😜).

***

Thu, March 16

30 minutes on the row machine, followed by side lateral raises and calf raises.

Both of these supplemental exercises were good for strengthening and shoring up weaknesses.

I was going to try not to run today. The morning was bitter and cold. But as it often goes in Colorado, the afternoon warmed up enough to tempt me. So I took Pippin for a short one, adding 5.2 miles to the log book.

We went dancing tonight, adding a few more bonus steps to my step count for the day!

***

Fri, March 17

A busy day, but I had time for a short 4.8 miles with Pippin in the park. The view at the overlook was partly obscured by the lightly falling snow, creating misty views in the distance. I could just make out Garden of the Gods in the background.


***

Sat, March 18

Since I was so sore last Sunday from doing the ab-wheel, I didn't want to do any weightlifting today so as not to be too sore tomorrow.

But I still wanted a short workout today, so I did a moderately easy 30 minutes on the row machine.

Next week, I'd like to do a bodyweight workout early in the week that includes pull-ups and dips.

But first, Speedwork Sunday tomorrow!!

***

Sun, March 19

Hooray for Speedwork Sundays! This week, Charles and Sharon both joined me for our regular weekly workout. We did the same half mile, mile, half mile that we have gotten accustomed to.

Last week, I was slow and sore. I had a lighter mileage week this time around, and took yesterday's rowing workout easy, so I felt much, much fresher this week.

My times were 3:41, 7:04, and 3:34.

7:04 for the mile!!

I was really pleased with that. Afterwards, I felt very light, floaty, - taxed but not tapped. I had hoped to go sub-7 in the mile by summer, but today showed me I have the potential to do more.

My lifetime mile PR, as far as I recall, is a 6:26 in high school. Is a lifetime mile PR within reach for me? I hesitate to commit to trying for that, as it seems like a pretty far-reaching goal.

While my initial goal was to do speedwork only twice a month, I feel I am better off planning it weekly. I might have a few off/slow weeks this way, but I hope it will help push along improvements as well.

In the last half mile today, Charles really helped push me. I don't think I was fully recovered from the mile, as my legs felt pretty leaded down. But he put a good kick on at the end!

Sharon and I wrapped up our run with a cool-down, coming in at 6.5 miles for the day.

Then, as it was a pretty calm afternoon, I took Pippin on the bluffs for my second run of the day. We were just shy of 6 miles, bringing my total to 12.4 miles on this Sunday Runday.


What a gorgeous day to look at all the mountains from atop the bluffs and be thankful for all this superb natural beauty around us.

Even after nearly a quarter-century of living here, I still feel greatful every day.

***

I wanted to post this blog before it got too long and dense.

I'm having a really great time running around the bluffs and urban trails and parks this winter. In previous winters, I've always tried to go to the mountains as much as possible. While I'll still seek the mountains more come summer, I'm really enjoying this season of running in town.

This season of running with friends and dog, and mixing speedwork and local trail runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment