Sunday, October 21, 2018

Winter Pikes Summit with Sharon + Barr Trail Conditions Report

Had a fantastic run on Barr Trail to the summit with Sharon this morning. With respect to trail conditions, the trail is mostly clear up until about 2 miles to go, upon which it is crunchy snow. Crunchy snow could turn icy later in the week, so I'd recommend spikes for a full summit.

I intended to bring spikes today, but forgot. The icy conditions especially from about 1 to go until the summit really slowed times.

Here are our splits (skipped the pavement):

Top of the Incline: 38:08
Barr Camp: 2:02:02
3 to go: 3:09:49
2 to go: 3:40:12
1 to go: 4:12:40
16 golden: 4:34:08
Summit: 4:53:33

Still I cannot complain about the times for a winter summit! Now for the photos!


We started under a starlit incline! It was amazing and breathtaking. I can't remember the last time I did the Incline before dawn. Considering how often I've been on it lately, the sun is always already up. The first photo is the view from the false summit as the sun began to come up.


This second photo is the sun rising as we are on the connector trail to No Name Creek. 


The sun was bright at Lightning Point! 


Sharon and I at Lightning Point, making good time on a clear trail.


The view down from the trail (towards the southeast) within a mile of the summit. 


Here is our summit success photo! Yes, the coldest part of the day was indeed either on the false summit of the Incline, or just past Barr Camp while the trail runs by the creek. After treeline, I wore only a tank top and shorts all the way up, and I was too warm. Wow, global warming?

With the warm conditions today, some of the top of the snow will have melted and then refrozen over night, so expect icy top conditions over the next few days.

I have to thank Sharon again for going with me, I had so much fun!!

With respect to my overall running/exercise goals of the next decade (see my previous blog post on the topic), I'm beginning to feel more and more like the Sub-4 Hour Ascent will be my goal for the year of 2019. 

I mean, I have to decide early when races require 8+ months of planning in advance, right? I'm looking forward to seeing you all out on the trails soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment